Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Podcasts

The first podcast I checked out on itunes was ConnectLearning hosted by David Warlick. I chose Episode 99 which was an interview with a librarian named Ann Krembs. Although I have not heard any of the others, the flow of this one is very natural. It doesn't seen rehearsed on like it is being read off of a card. Another thing to point out, the music in the beginning caught my attention right away.


The second one I listen to was EdTechtalk, which coincidentally starts out with music too. The voice at the beginning sounds almost like a robot. They state early in the podcast that there goal is to welcome conversation. In the episode that I heard they are interviewing a woman about parents and their role in school. Just like the last one this one doesn't seem to be memorized.


The next one I listened to was KidCast. The tag line for this podcast is very clever: "Questions make the world go round." This is very true especially when it comes to kids because that is how they learn is by asking questions. This one does not sound as natural as the last too. It sounds a little more organized and more thought out as though they spent a lot of time on it. I don't think this podcast would be very interesting to children, it is more like listening to a professors lecture.


Now I have moved on to listening to MacBreak Weekly. I do not like listening to commercials so this one was not one of my favorites. Luckily I have a "scrub" bar to skip through these advertisements. The MacBreak Weekly sounds like the morning news or maybe two D.J.s on the radio babbling about economy and politics and other current events.


SMARTBoard Lessons Podcast was my favorite one I listened to. The music in this pChuck and Shandi from Lingoodcasts encourages people to keep listening. It's not all talking, it has some good music to keep people's attention. The lesson on the podcast is about clouds. Again, it sounds like people on the radio just having a conversation. The conversation in this podcast reminds me of Chuck and Shandi off of Lingo, they sound very comfortable with each other. I like how they don't only talk about the lesson they also talk about what's going on in there lives, so it sounds more personal.


This Week in Photography was my last podcast to listen to. The host of the show has nick named the show T.W.I.P. This podcast would be very interesting to any person who likes to take pictures or wants to anything with photography. It discusses magazines and photographers. The host of this show is a man named Scott. In this episode he interviews his favorite photographer named Andrew Darlow and where to find the best printer. Podcasts are great for people to share there thoughts to anyone who wants to listen!


4 comments:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Good job Jill. Sounds like you now have a better idea of how your own podcast should sound. Keep up the good work.

Marlena said...

Wow, it was as if I was listening to the podcast just by reading your description. I feel more at ease about doing my podcast from reading how at ease the presenters seemed to be.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jill for the mention of my appearance on TWIP. I really enjoy the show, and I have my own podcast as well about photography at www.imagingbuffet.com.

All the best!

---------------------------------------------------
Andrew Darlow
Editor, The Imaging Buffet
http://www.imagingbuffet.com
Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com

Kimberly Pierce's EDM310 Blog said...

I loves your views on each individual podcast. You analyzed them wonderfully.